Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Breast vs. Bottle

I have now had some good experience in the fields of bottle feeding a baby and breast feeding a baby. I would not say I am an expert in either...but can now offer opinion on both.

Pro Breast
You always hear about bonding. There is something very sweet about that one eye that looks directly at you while nursing. NO...it's not a paniced look or a look of suffocation, it's that look of someone who is studying every inch of your face. Almost as if she is memorizing it. It's very endering.
Also there's the cash factor. Nursing has saved me over $100.00 in formula expenses. If I could keep it up for a few months, that's some signifigant savings. Unfortunately my job will not allow for proper pumping time.
Which leads me to....

Pro Bottle
How nice is it when at 5 am, I can wake Dub to feed baby girl and I can get another hour of sleep? Love that factor. Yes, I do wake up. I think I would wake up no matter what because of motherhood paranoia that my child will stop breathing while she is sleeping. But being able to hand off some of the responsibility of feeding and allowing a bond to be created with daughter and father is great. It's also important for Dad to get some of that special time.

Bottle feeding is also helpful when it comes to daycare and work. Perhaps one day I could work part time and stay home a little more. That day is not now. This means I have to rely on others to help with the feeding of tiny baby. This is where bottles and formula come in handy. I know at my job, I will not be able to pump as often as is needed for my milk not to dry up. It's kindof not fair, but I have accepted it for what it is.

Time. Unlike some of my more fortunate friends, breastfeeding for me takes FOREVER. Jovee will nurse for 30 minutes on each side--mainly because she falls asleep so fast. Bottles have a faster stream and she is done feeding quicker. Which helps me get more done for the 3 other kids waiting to have some "mom time".

All in all, nursing has been a good experience and I am glad I did it. Although at first I thought my nipples would fall off. Holy crap, they hurt. Seriously. How many nerve endings are there and we just let someone freely go to town there. Seems silly for something so natural to hurt me so much.

Well, that's enough about my nipples.....

2 comments:

noelle willes sadler said...

I totally agree... I lost my milk with Isaac at 4 months. It is more convenient to bottle feed. It totally sucks to be in the middle of something and have to go whip them out to feed the little one! It just is so easy to fill a warm bottle and shake. And like you said, anyone can feed them:) But I also like having something that they need and is able to make them feel so good. Pro's and con's, huh?

Eris said...

Never enough talking about your nipples.